Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The meeting, the blogboard and YouTube

Well, this post is a few days late. Work has been keeping me rather busy, and by the time I get home, I normally think of nothing more than hitting the sack or just plopping myself down in front of the tube. Anywho, I went to the Blogger gathering this past Saturday with my friend Mike (http://leicammaciel.blogspot.com). It wasn't too bad, plus, my thanks to the guys who organized this, Azoriana and Ideias e Ideais. I realize the effort something like this takes to organize a gathering like this and getting some of the big wigs you got, not to mention getting the local media involved as well, all the way up to the local TV station. However, I do have a couple of suggestions for the next gathering: 1) Now that we all know each other, why not make the next gatehring a dinner, maybe even during Sanjoaninas (of which I will be on vacation at the time) and hold it in a Tasca. It's a fun way to get together, similar to how IRC channels do it. Plus, it requires no cash and just a simple reservation. We can pay our own way. The IRC dinners I used to go to were always rather good to go to because of the informal atmosphere and open conversation. 2) Some of the speeches were a bit too long. Sorry, but this is the truth. I created this blog pretty much as a means to record anything that happens in my own style. I didn't take into account statistics or that France had the most blogs in Europe. The speeches done by Azoriana and I&I were straight to the point with no overly-flowery adjectives and even Nuno Barata had some nice quips (of course, being that I myself am also from the same political faction he's from, I guess I'm kinda bias in that aspect). I like that. Then again, I've always preferred the American style of speeches. Aside form that, not a bad meeting at all. And I did get this certificate :)

Ok, now Mike (see blog link above) has installed a "blogboard" that lists most of the blogs from this island. You can find it at http://www.factosonline.com/blogs It's pretty nice. Keeps a live update of the blogs and shows which one has the most recent post and which post it is. By the way, make sure to comment Mike's Blog, it keeps him happy :)
Oh, on another note. I've started to get back a taste for country music, mainly the works of the late, great, Johnny Cash. His name rings a familiar bell because I seem to have been branded by my family due to it. It all started back in 2002 when I was living in Buffalo and I went with my sis and company to Niagara Falls to an outdoor Karaoke show. Now I was about a week or so removed from my stay in Nebraska, so I still had plenty of that "country boy" mentality in me. And I still have some of it to this day (what can I say, the midwest REALLY grows on you :) ). Well, I got up and did a rendition of Johnny's famous song "Ring of Fire". Since then, my sister has NEVER forgotten to remind me about that time or that song since I not only sang it, but also sang it with the country twang I had then which, with my baritone singing voice, sounded actually quite on the money :) I guess it's one of those ackward moments you like and hate at the same time :) Well, I've recently been going to YouTube.com and managed to see, not only a 1968 video of Cash's hit song. But also a video of the LAST song he sang before he died, a remake of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt", both excellent renditions by the late Mr. Cash. Anywho, I leave you with a vide of each. Enjoy :)

3 comments:

Mike Maciel said...

DUDE!!! My favorite post from you ever, very kewl, keep up the awesome work... Loved the Johnny Cash song "Hurt"... 5 snaps... lol

José Aurélio Almeida said...

Olá!
Parabéns pelo Luso's Lair!
Sobre este artigo destaco e dou os parabéns pelo excelente blogboard. Estou agradavelmente surpreendido com esta nova ferramenta ao serviço dos blogs açorianos.
Pela nossa parte muito obrigado.
(o comentário vai em português uma vez que não dominamos muito bem o inglês escrito).

Terceirense said...

If I could write english so well
If I could read fast the kindness words you wrote...
So, this is all I know and I can tell,
My regards & hugs in this simple note.
Could you translate for me
Some of the EBIT's post word?
Well, you really can see,
Our thanks anywhere... you deserve!

Muito obrigado pela sugestão. Esse jantar seria uma boa ideia para relembrar o EBIT.
Rosa Maria