Friday, March 10, 2006

Luso's tips to decent living

Ok. So here I am, thinking what am I supposed to write into my blog, wracking my brains out about what should be written. In case you haven't noticed, I don't post too frequently. I normally let a good amount of time pass before I put something up, which by then would make my entry rather big. But alas, here I am, still with no idea what to write. So I figured, why not post up something, I guess you could say, superficial, which is just a few guidelines towards living decently. I don't mean "decent" in the religious sense. I mean as in being comfortable in life, even if you have little cash. So here it goes: 1. Respect your parents. I can't stress this enough. Your family should play a pivotal role in your life, moreso than your friends, regardless of how good your friends are. Your parents raised you and brought you through life and have given you the tools necessary to excel in life. Respect them for that and make that respect visible. Whether it's helping them out every once in awhile with chores, treating them to dinner out, or a simple thank you. They'll apreciate it in the long run. Trust me. 2. HONESTY! HONESTY! HONESTY! It's a simple concept, true. But nowadays, it seems to be a concept that is becoming more and more foreign to more and more people. Whether it's a girlfriend denying she's seeing someone else while a guy is getting dressed in the other room, to companies telling false information about their competitors to try and boost their own sales. Lying has been growing like a disease. Be honest, be open and be frontal. You'll see that doing this will not only make you look good in society, but will also make you feel good inside. 3. Seize opportunities as they pass. In life, we're given many opportunties. Problem is that we don't notice most of them, just the ones that "scream the loudest". The key is to stay alert and be attentative. What may seem rather "blah" on the outside, may just be the diamond in the rough you were looking for. For example, in 2000, I moved to Nebraska to start a programming job that I thought would be a "dead end" job because of where it was. Turned out to be such a great stay that I extended my contract for another 6 months after the 2 years I stayed there. 4. Don't sweat the small stuff. Nowadays, people tend to worry over the smallest of things. Whether they were shortchanged at the supermarket, cut off in traffic, irritated at their boss at work, etc... While to be mad is natural and, to a point, helpful in keeping stress down, it's not good to let it linger for too long or to let it build up into rage. Take a walk, get a punching bag and go a few rounds, write in your diary, whatever helps ease your tension, do it. Life is WAY too short to let the small things consume you. You allow that to happen, and you'll end up strolling into a Post Office one day with a loaded AK-47. 5. Don't worry about getting alot of friends. Just get GOOD friends. Some people think the measuring stick to their self esteem is by how many friends they have. I've come to learn that said measuring stick is not too reliable. The key isn't having a bunch of friends, but rather having a couple of very good friends who you can count on for anything and who can count on you for anything. I know alot of people, but I only really have about 2 actual friends. The others are merely aqquaintances who I know either from work or from the bars or whatnot. 6. Think about getting a fishing pole rather than a fish. Self-reliance is a big factor in living decently. The goal to acheiving such is nothing more, nothing less than work, hard work. However, this can be reached, be it a long or short process, if you are patient enough and determined enough to let it happen. This ranges from aquiring a decent job, to working towards home ownership or even renting a place to knowing small things like how to cook, how to clean, etc... 7. Find your niche in life. Everybody has something that they are very good in and enjoy doing. Doesn't matter who you are, each and everyone of you have one particular talent, and said talent differs from one person to another. Whether you are a wizard at capentry, know the ins and outs of an automobile, can read 1's and 0's efficiently, etc... We all have a skillset we are good at. Find this skillset and let it prosper. 8. The only scapegoat in life is yourself. Nowaday, there is a growing tendency to pass the buck onto someone or something else as a means to hide one's mistakes. It's not a bad thing to admit to one's mistakes and, in fact, is a true sign of courage and character. Ask young George Washington who chopped down a cherry tree, but then admitted to his wrong dowing to his parents. I belive he ended up being the 1st president of the US or something :) 9. Do unto others as they would do unto you. I know, it's a cliché. But a good one though. This has been one of my golden rules that I've tried my best to follow through life. When presented with a certain action that I could take, I stop and ask myself if I'd like it if said action happened to me. If you don't like it happening to you, than chances are that said person would not like it to happen to them either. Keep in mind that you're not alone on this planet and that others share it with you. 10. Work is always good no matter what it is. Every once in awhile, I see people who are ashamed to say what they do for a living as they feel that their job mighty embarass them. This is wrong on so many levels. Having a job is a plus, whether you are a CEO or a garbage collector. You're earning a paycheck, paying bills and helping yourself live independently. Be proud of what you do and don't be ashamed to say it. Better to be picking up garbage or waiting tables rather than doing nothing. Believe me, this is from personal experience. And those are my 10 tips. I know, some of you probably read that and said "Well gee Luso. I already knew that!". Still though, never hurts to make reference to it every once in awhile as a reminder :) Take care people.

6 comments:

Mike Maciel said...

Good post, today I'm not going to be my usual critical self, please read asshole, just going to say that everything in life must be taken in small amounts; a little bit off this, a little bit of that, as humans we tend to have a hard time dealing with mind bogling things, thats why I say KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid... lol, Bem hajam...

Jorge M. Gonçalves said...

I visited your blog today (very nice), got your link from the Azoriana blog. Have a good weekend...

Desambientado said...

Foi um prazer conhecer-te. Passarei também a ler-te.

Paulo Ribeiro said...

It was great the meeting that we had yesterday. The first time i came to this blog i asked myself: an english blog in Angra?! Now i know why!

Eduard Anthony Fagundes Maduro said...

Thanks for the comments folks. Nice to know my blog isn't falling on deaf ears :)

Eduard Anthony Fagundes Maduro said...

Well, I initially moved here at the age of 15 when my parents decided to move back. The first couple of years I just couldn't stand the place because it was such a massive cultute shock to me. As the years went by I started growing roots here and gradually became more comfortable with the surroundings. Now this is my home and, even when I moved back to the states in 1999, I still thought of the Azores as my true home, which is why I moved back in 2003